In our classroom we have been trying to help the kids understand how they are hurting other kids feelings, we do this by asking them "what id they did that to you? How would you feel?" "Can I hit you? Oh, no, you don't want me too, then why do you think it is ok if you hit THEM?!" Well today we had another learning moment. I see a little girl running around with a pair of glasses in her hand that the boy chasing her had recently been wearing. I stopped both of them and asked them what was going on. The boy said he had the glasses and that she took them from him, and she said "well i needed them!" but he then grabbed them out of her hands and ran off. Well i knew that that is what had happened, so I didn't call him back. I started telling her "just becaus eyou want something, soesn't make it ok to just take it from someone, you need to use your words and ask them if you can play with it. If they say no, they are still playing with it, what could you do? Could you wait until they were done?" Well I ddin't feel i was really getting anywhere with telling her these things so I took the doll she had in her hands and said "I need this doll...You can go play now" hoping she would understand how she had hurt the boys feelings. She got about five feet away from me and I said "Susie..." she turned around looking about to cry and I said "you can have your doll back, I just wanted to show you how Johnny felt when you took his to because you 'needed' it" and let the waterworks begin! She started BAWLING and I held her in my arms for a good 5-10 minutes before she calmed down. I just had to keep telling her that the way she is feeling is how Johnny felt. I hope she learned SOMETHING, but I feel HORRIBLE for upsetting her so bad!
And on a happier/funnier note, I get lots of emails from different places about babies. Well the one I got today covered "why do newborns look so funny" and then there was a link to take you to pictures of newborns and it cracked me up! I couldn't help but share with you!
http://www.babycenter.com/101_funny-looking-newborns_10329918.bc?scid=preg_2_20100408:3&pe=2UxcWQE
ENJOY!
No comments:
Post a Comment