Thursday, February 5, 2009

Soap Boxes

So in my institute class (I’m taking Book of Mormon) we are encouraged to keep a journal. The first week I had a friend staying at my house and I felt bad leaving her there alone for 4 hours, so I went home after my 7 Habits class, so I missed this “encouragement.” The next week I didn’t have a journal, but kept my notes and insights on just a plain piece of notebook paper. The third week (go figure) I forgot to get one or to bring something from home, so FINALLY in my 4th week of the class, I needed to get the scripture pencils, so before class I ran to Deseret Book/Distribution center (in Provo they are next door to each other) and since I was there getting pencils, I figured I might as well get a little Journal. I’m so glad I did, not only was the lesson good, but there were a few times that the teacher got a smidge off topic and on to her soap box, but it was AWESOME, very memorable information, and I just couldn’t wait to share it with someone else and what better way to share it with you all than on here! (I LOVE blogsJ )

I am taking the second half of BOM so we were studying in alma 36-42 when Alma is almost done with his mission and is giving counsel to his sons Helamen, Shiblon and Corianton. In his counsel to Shiblon he tells him to Bridle his Passions.

Soap Box #1
Q: “Do we bridle our passions because they are good or because they are bad?”
A: “Because they are GOOD!”
“God wants us to be happy and have passion for life.
D&C 132:19-20
19 And again, verily I say unto you, if a man marry a wife by my word, which is my law, and by the new and everlasting covenant, and it is sealed unto them by the Holy Spirit of promise, by him who is anointed, unto whom I have appointed this power and the keys of this priesthood; and it shall be said unto them—Ye shall come forth in the first resurrection; and if it be after the first resurrection, in the next resurrection; and shall inherit thrones, kingdoms, principalities, and powers, dominions, all heights and depths—then shall it be written in the Lamb’s Book of Life, that he shall commit no murder whereby to shed innocent blood, and if ye abide in my covenant, and commit no murder whereby to shed innocent blood, it shall be done unto them in all things whatsoever my servant hath put upon them, in time, and through all eternity; and shall be of full force when they are out of the world; and they shall pass by the angels, and the gods, which are set there, to their exaltation and glory in all things, as hath been sealed upon their heads, which glory shall be a fulness and a continuation of the seeds forever and ever.
20 Then shall they be gods, because they have no end; therefore shall they be from everlasting to everlasting, because they continue; then shall they be above all, because all things are subject unto them. Then shall they be gods, because they have all power, and the angels are subject unto them.

She then went on to say that when we get to heaven, the people in the Terlestial and Telestial Kingdoms will have no desire to be husband and wife and only those in the Celestrial Kingdom will have that desire. “Human intimacy is SO important that if we misuse it, it will lead to our destruction.”

So…

BRIDLE YOUR PASSIONS!

Satan takes things that are good and makes them evil. If we let God guide them it makes and KEEPS are passions good. The Lord’s prayer says “lead us not into Temptation.” Is DOES NOT say “Help me to resist temptation.”

She then went on to tell this story to explain the Lords prayer better…
There was a man hiring drivers for his company. The roads that they were required to drive on were very dangerous and asked each of the men how they drive on narrow roads with a cliff on the one side. The first guy said “I can drive as close as 6 inches from the cliff with no problem and I won’t lose the load.” The second guy said “I can drive right on the edge of the cliff and never lose the load.” The third guy said “I stay as far away from the cliff as possible! I don’t ever want to chance losing anything.” The third applicant is the one who go hired.

So God will not lead us into temptation=Stay away from the edge!
“Keep your passions within the bounds the Lord has set.”

Soap Box #2
Well, this isn’t so much a soap box, but just kind like “WOW! That’s cool! I never thought of it that way…”

When Alma is talking to Corianton (He was the most rebellious of the 3) he is explain to him some of the things Corianton doesn’t understand about the church. The first on was Infinite Atonement.

Now of the “WOW!” thoughts…
- Infinite Atonement means it reaches in ALL directions, before our time, after our time and for EVERYONE.
- When we get baptized our sins aren’t “washed away” just that one time.
o Baptism means that they are not accountable or that they cannot sin and when we get baptized we are baptized for the future remission of sins.
o D&C 83 states that the cleansing process happens over and over again when we go to sacrament and renew our baptismal covenants.

There were a couple more “soap box” moments, but I just loved how passionate she was about the first one and I just really like that second one. She has a term in our class called “a Blinding Flash of the Obvious” otherwise known as an “A-HA moment.” These were mine, that’s for sure.

I also loved this little quote…

“Trust and to be trusted is a greater compliment than to be loved…”
“If you trust God, He will trust you!”

I’m so happy to be back in and institute class. I love learning about the gospel and getting SO MANY insights from everyone in my class and especially our oh so knowledgeable teacher.

No comments: